“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Friday, February 28, 2014

The Pelican Brief Review and New Book

Welcome back to SBC!

I hope you enjoyed reading The Pelican Brief by John Grisham.

I enjoyed this one. It's a fairly easy read. The storyline is fast-paced with the right amount of intrigue. It kept me interested, at least.

Darby sure learned how to keep a low profile quickly, which was impressive. She's one of those characters that is a little bit too-good-too-be-true. She wasn't over the top, though, so I can't complain too much.

The storyline never lagged, which was a plus.

On to next month! The book I have selected for March is
Mao's Last Dancer
by Li Cunxin

This one is kind of a cheat: this is the pick for my friend's book club this month. She told me she enjoyed it, so I thought it would be a good pick for my book club.

Mao's Last Dancer is a memoir written by a world famous ballet dancer: Li Cunxin. From Goodreads: From a desperately poor village in northeast China, at age eleven, Li Cunxin was chosen by Madame Mao's cultural delegates to be taken from his rural home and brought to Beijing, where he would study ballet. In 1979, the young dancer arrived in Texas as part of a cultural exchange, only to fall in love with America-and with an American woman. Two years later, through a series of events worthy of the most exciting cloak-and-dagger fiction, he defected to the United States, where he quickly became known as one of the greatest ballet dancers in the world. This is his story, told in his own inimitable voice.

Sounds fascinating to me. I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

This book earns an average of 4.09 stars on Goodreads, 4 stars on Barnes & Noble, and 4.6 stars on Amazon.

I hope you read with me. See you next month!

No comments: