“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Monday, November 18, 2013

Grandma's Pumpkin Pie

I always get a little nostalgic around the holidays. I think about the traditions I loved as a kid. One thing that really brings back memories is the taste of pumpkin pie. Without pumpkin pie, it just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving.

In my mom's recipe file, there is a handwritten recipe for pumpkin pie--a recipe created by my mother's mother, my grandmother. It is my favorite recipe. I love the thick, custardy texture of the baked pie and the spicy, sweet flavor. This is one recipe that will live on year after year.
Luckily we transcribed Grandma's recipe (with her edits) before it looked like this.
Grandma's Pumpkin Pie 
Recipe by Sara's Grandma (stuff-by-sara.blogspot.com)
    Small batch
    1 small can pumpkin
    1 small can warm milk
    2/3 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 ½ tsp cinnamon
    ¾ tsp ginger
    1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
    Large batch 
    1 large can pumpkin
    1 large can warm milk
    1 cup sugar
    6 eggs
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

    Mix spices, salt, and sugar; add to warm milk and beaten eggs. Blend in pumpkin. Mix well. Pour into prepared pie crusts. Cook 15 minutes at 400º, then 45 minutes at 350º. Makes 2-4 pies.

    Let cool. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

    Pumpkin pie is one of my holiday favorites, and I hope you enjoy it too!

    No comments: