“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Books Worth Reading (according to me)

If you haven’t been impressed with my picks thus far, you might not want my opinion anymore at all. But if you have a little extra time around the holidays and you need a few recommendations, you've come to the right place.
image source
Little House series (featuring the famous Little House on the Prairie) by Laura Ingalls Wilder
This series will keep you busy for a while. If you are like me, that is, and can’t stop after the first book. I started reading this series when I was in the fourth grade, and I have re-read them many times. I am a total sucker for the romance between Almanzo and Laura that concludes the series. Added bonus: these books are based on the author’s life. I think real-life stories are neat.

image source
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Most people probably had to read this in their high school English class. I’m betting that a large portion of those people either A) didn’t read it or B) didn’t appreciate it. I know I didn’t appreciate every book I came across in high school, and my English teacher usually had good enough review sessions that I didn’t actually have to read the book to pass the test. If you didn't read this one in high school, it's worth your time.

image source
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
This is another kiddie book, but I love it. My fifth grade teacher recommend that I read with a box of tissues, and she was right. Of course, I am a tender-hearted sap. I love Rawls’s writing style. He writes about the desires of a young boy, and the hard work and heartache he goes through to achieve his dreams.

image source
Divergent series by Veronica Roth
Have you noticed that dystopian novels are having a moment in the limelight? Well, this is right in line with that trend. I have read books 1 and 2 (book 3 is a new release--I haven't gotten my hands on it yet!), and I enjoyed them both. Neat storyline, great characters, intriguing plot. Plus, they’re making it into a movie! Yay!

image source
Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson
This is another romance from the best-selling author of Edenbrooke. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, since everyone in my library system seems to have requested it before me, but I anxiously anticipate reading this one. I have heard nothing but good reviews. If you like Regency-era, Jane Austen-type romances, this is one for you. The language makes it more accessible to the modern reader, but the text is studded with terms like "pianoforte."

Happy Reading!

No comments: