“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Monday, April 15, 2013

Caramel Banana Cake


Today I spied some bananas that were awfully ripe. They were starting to get brown spots on them, even. I immediately thought that today was a day for banana bread.

And then, my thoughts turned decadent. I thought that I could easily adapt my usual banana bread recipe to become banana cake. Top it with frosting, and we've got dessert, folks. And not just any frosting, either. Cream cheese frosting. But the madness doesn't stop there. Oh no. I added toasted pecans for a little crunch and (because I couldn't help myself) a caramel drizzle.

Get in my belly!
Now you have great insights into my life as a fat kid. Moving on to the recipe...

Caramel Banana Cake
Recipe by Sara (stuff-by-sara.blogspot.com)

For the cake:
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
6 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp caramel sauce*

For the frosting:
2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk or cream

1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

In a large mixing bowl, combine bananas, butter, and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix thoroughly.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients, and gently stir until just moistened. Pour batter into greased 8x8-inch pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

When the cake comes out of the oven, take a knife and poke several holes in it. Pour 1/2 cup caramel over the cake and let cool.

To make the frosting, whip butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and about a cup of the powdered sugar. Beat until creamy. Add powdered sugar and milk until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.

Spread cooled cake with frosting. Top with pecans, and then drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.



*I used jarred caramel sauce this time around, but you can use homemade if you prefer.

No comments: