“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer Sun

I love summertime. The sun, the warm weather, the icy cold treats, the flip-flops, the road trips, the beach. A few weekends ago, I went to the beach (Panama City, FL), and it occurred to me that I should share some of my summer essentials.

I'll start off by saying that I am incredibly fair-skinned. Think the girl in this meme:


As such, sun protection is a must. Neutrogena is my favorite sunscreen: it stays on well (even when swimming--it's water resistant for up to 80 minutes), it doesn't clog my pores, and it offers great sun protection. I like SPF 45 or higher. If you're swimming for a long time (like a whole day at the beach) reapply every hour or so. If you are trying to get a tan, I still recommend using sunscreen SPF 15 or higher. I got a (slight) tan using SPF 45.

If your sunscreen fails you, I have a great remedy for sunburn: freshly grated potatoes. What? I know, it sounds totally weird, but my mom came across this remedy while taking a free class on medicinal uses of herbs. I got a bit of sunburn while in Florida, but my brothers got it pretty bad (especially the one who refused to use sunscreen--he was trying to get a tan). Amazingly, the potatoes made a noticeable difference both in skin tone and in relief. My brother's back literally changed from a deep, angry red to a lighter pink. On my own back, the grated potatoes were surprisingly cold, which helped a lot with the pain. We used both russet and red potatoes, so I imagine that other kinds would work, too. Use whatever you have on hand.

Since I don't tan well (see meme above), sometimes I opt for the fake stuff. Enter: Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion. It's cheap, and it looks fairly natural. I even tried the Deep Dark Color version (I couldn't find the Light/Medium kind), and it didn't turn my skin orange. That is a win, ladies and gentlemen.

This next one might be a bit controversial, but I just can't help myself: I have used Sun-In every summer since I was 12 years old. It's tradition. It's also one of my favorite parts of summer: My dingy blonde locks turn into brilliant blonde tresses. My hair bleaches quite a bit in the sun naturally, so I only use Sun-In once or twice at the beginning of the summer to give my hair a kick-start. Using this product too often can result in serious hair damage, or so I have heard. Moderation is the name of the game, folks.


Since hair damage is a concern in the summer time, let's talk about hair protection. My hair is pretty delicate (I'm a natural blonde, what can I say?), so it easily gets dried out in direct sunlight. I have heard that you can spray aerosol sunscreen on your hair, but I find that a bit heavy and greasy. Instead, I like to mix up custom solution. Feel free to change the recipe to suit your needs.
     2 Tbsp sunscreen lotion
     1 Tbsp conditioner
     1 Tbsp hairspray or gel (optional)
     1 cup of water.
Shake it up and spritz. Works wonders.

Another helpful hint: protect your locks in the pool by putting a little bit of conditioner on the ends of your hair before taking a dip. I like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, but any conditioner will do. You'd be amazed how much this helps keep my hair from drying out due to the chlorine. It also builds a barrier so my hair won't turn green. #blondegirlproblems

Just one more tip: If you are spending a lot of time outdoors in the heat, be sure to drink plenty of water. I got a bit dehydrated at the beach, and I had a wobbly walk to the car. My favorite water bottle is one by Camelbak. Fun fact: if you drink through a straw, you consume more liquid because there are fewer air bubbles. Straw or not, stay hydrated.

Enjoy that summer sun!

No comments: