“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Cold & Flu Season Essentials

Let me tell you a story. Once I came down with an awful stomach bug. My supply of food stuffs was all but depleted.  I lived alone, and I didn't have the energy to go to the store for Sprite or saltines. Long story short, now I keep a few things on hand for when illness strikes--because it's always unexpected. Here are a few of my staples for the cold and flu season:

Homeopathic Remedies
Personally, I'm a big fan of Oscillococcinum. You take it when you first start experiencing flu-like symptoms. Similarly, Zicam is marketed as a pre-cold remedy. I haven't tried Zicam, but I'm in favor of anything that will alleviate symptoms at the onset.

Waterless Vaporizer
I have a Vicks Waterless Vaporizer, but I have also used one made by PediaCare. Both are great. They release menthol vapors into the air. When I have a cold, I have trouble sleeping at night. Sometimes cold symptoms make it hard to breathe. These vaporizers have helped me a great deal.

Fluids
Drinking lots of fluids is always important. Dehydration is a serious concern, especially if you have the flu. If you have the stomach flu, clear liquids are preferable: water, white grape juice, Sprite, 7-Up, ginger ale, Pedialyte, etc. I like Powerade or Gatorade on ice. Just remember to sip slowly.

Bland Foods

My mom has always recommended the B.R.A.T. diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. I like saltines, and I always keep a box in the pantry. You might prefer pretzels, tortillas, graham crackers, Cheerios, or any number of other things. Just keep some around the house in the event of illness. Believe you me, you won't want to go to the store when you are ill.

Hand Soap

According to the CDC, clean hands save lives. Hand washing is "one of the best ways to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and and prevent the spread of  germs to others." Wash, wash, wash!
When you are out and about, carry some alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol). If soap and water aren't available, hand sanitizer is your best bet.



I hope you don't get sick this cold/flu season. But if you do, a stockpile of supplies will ease the burden. If you do get sick, go to a doctor. The products listed above won't cure your ailment.

And for heaven's sake, stay home! You need your rest, and the rest of us don't need your germs.

No comments: