“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” — Henry David Thoreau

Friday, June 27, 2014

It's Never Too Late

Welcome back to book club!

I hope that reading It's Never Too Late by Dallas Clayton was as refreshing for you as it was for me. This book is short enough that I probably could type the whole thing here, and it still wouldn't be as long as my review of Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

While It's Never Too Late is quite simple, I enjoyed the message: Life is about more than day-to-day maintenance; it's about building meaningful relationships and doing the things that make us happy. Even if you get caught up in the mundane, you don't have to continue that way. (That's my interpretation, at least.)

Some of my favorite parts:

"the truth/ is that nobody has all the answers,/ and everybody’s singers/ and everybody’s dancers."

"everyone’s mind/ gets all full of mess,/ and we all read the signs,/ and we all try our best."

"But it’s never too late/ to say that you care,/ to call up a friend/ you wish was still there.
And it’s never too late/ to start something new,/ to do all the things/ you’ve been longing to do."

I really enjoyed this book. I think the author's unembellished style emphasizes the message he seeks to convey.

For me, It's Never Too Late fit perfectly with my busy summer schedule. Even if you didn't find time for it this month, I recommend you pick this one up when you have a few minutes to spare. It won't take more than 10 minutes to read, and it might remind you to take more care with how you spend the rest of your time. It was a good reminder for me, at least.

Hit me back in a few days for my pick for July!

No comments: